For your Learning Journal entry this week, respond to the following prompt:
- Choose one of the cultural examples provided in this module and explain how that cultural expression reflects nativist philosophies. For example, describe how nativism influenced costumbrismo. Use DETAILED evidence to support your conclusion.
You may also choose to jot down any thoughts or questions this unit inspired that you might want to revisit later for your final project. See the due date in the course schedule.
- Journal entries should average 250 words each (more is fine; it will be difficult to make substantive reflections in much less than this).
- Clearly label (number your journal entry)
- Your entries will be kept private and are meant to help you deepen your understanding of the course concepts and also help you generate ideas for your final project.
- Make sure to proofread and revise your posts. Even though these entries are personal, it is still expected that you produce college-level writing.
- Keep up with the due dates for each entry. You don’t want to fall behind.
- If you meet all of these criteria, producing a well-developed entry, you will receive a “complete” grade on this assignment.
A popular aesthetic that promoted new national identities was costumbrismo, a genre that appeared in literature and the visual arts describing the local customs of a place, especially the countryside, which were said to embody the nation. Based around the description of tipos (types of locals), these images and writings were circulated nationally and globally, helping shape the perception of Latin America and contributing to an exoticized view of Latin America for the outsider. Whether it was the gaucho or the poblana, these ways of dress and mannerisms inspired a unique way of looking at nation.