APA format, 750 words, about YOUR experience AS A COUNSELOR with Your Client. Use research/references to support your responses
Counselor Description (You): African American, Female, Mid 30
Client: (Adolescent Sibling), Specifier: Depression,
Client background: You are in a family of siblings—1 emerging adult sibling guardian, 1 adolescent, and 1 middle childhood aged child. Your father has been sentenced to life in prison for the homicide of your mother from domestic violence. It has been 2 years since your mother’s death. You are all receiving case management services from DCF.
*Attached intake information for client
- Identify sex, gender, sexuality and other pertinent cultural similarities and differences between you and your client.
- Explain how your cultural and clinical worldviews influence your dialogue, treatment planning, and expectations of yourself and your client in the session. (Use research to support your response.)
- Describe assumptions that you have learned to make about your client’s specific sex, gender, sexuality (Even if you think these assumptions, beliefs, or biases do not play a role in your current counseling relationship and approach, discuss how they could influence your counseling. Provide a specific example.)
- Describe the feelings that you have about your client. How do these feelings relate to your client’s sex, gender, sexuality, or cultural identity?
- Discuss how your and your client’s beliefs about health, healing, disease, mental health, and addiction differ.
- Describe how your client’s experience with discrimination, oppression, and prejudice could influence his/her current level of distress, psychological functioning, and response to treatment. (Use research to support your response.)
- Explore how you attended to your client’s worldview in the session (verbal and non-verbal communication).
- Describe a misunderstanding or erroneous counseling response during the counseling session that appears related to differences in cultural identification, values, or behavior.
- Identify cultural knowledge that you must obtain to gain a better understanding of your client and how you will gain it. (Use your Cultural Diversity and Cultural Competency Self-Assessment from Lesson 2 and relevant research to support your response.)
- Discuss the most important lessons that you have learned from the simulation as a mock client and as a human services provider. (amended from SAMHSA, 2014, p. 93)